Post subject: Shooting Mother's Day - PHOTO CHALLENGE
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 pm 
Therapy Master

Shooting for Mother’s Day- Tips - Hints and a Challenge:

How often do you Mums actually get in the photos of an important event like Mother’s Day…..? Not often I bet.

So as Mother’s Day is all about you, your family and your own Mum, let’s get the camera prepared and ready to go so you can be in the images, not missing out of this important day by hiding behind the camera.

In the future the kids will notice if you are not in the photos and they won’t really give a toss about your hair, your waistline or about the wrinkles. But with a little bit of prior setting up, you can have your hair done, foundation on and looking good for the camera. And having the camera already set up for them to take the shots is key.

Mother’s Day tradition in my home is my one hot cup of black coffee that I have all year and a pack of Tim Tams. (I don’t eat all of them mind lol). I usually hear the rustling around in the kitchen getting the tray of goodies ready, so I duck into the bathroom to make myself presentable. This includes putting a pair of bras on under my PJ’s, dragging a brush thru the hair, brushing my teeth and applying a bit of the foundation.

I open the bedroom curtains and turn on all the lights including the 2 bed side lamps and leap back into bed, straighten the covers and viola, I look presentable for the camera. I have the camera out on the kitchen table from the night before so my darling beloved (cough cough) DH can follow the kids into the bedroom and click away with the unwrapping of the overly large, many times wrapped packet of Tim Tams and get all the delight of the kids raiding my Tim Tam stash!!!! We all take turns sucking up the coffee thru the Tim Tam. Followed by breakfast in bed.

Now to set up the camera. If you would like to experiment a bit, I would love for you to have the camera in your hands taking some test shots the morning before in your bedroom, with the curtains open and all the lights on. If you have a speedlight (external flash) and can teach your DH how to bounce flash from the ceiling then do so. If you can’t you are probably better off not using flash at all as it casts ugly shadows behind you on the wall. Instead crank up your ISO to say no more than 800. For the ultimate test and a bit of fun for the kids, have them move around on your bed and see if they are blurred in your shot.

For those who have creative modes use your sports setting and test it out the day before first. If the image looks wrong, try another. If you just cant get something that you're happy with, go Auto and disable the flash.

P is nearly like auto and will not fire the flash unless you manually pop it up. Or look for the lightening bolt inside a circle that has a diagonal line thru it. That disables the flash.

Attachment:
flash-off-icon.gif
flash-off-icon.gif [ 711 Bytes | Viewed 2460 times ]

So to wrap it up, do a test run the morning before at the same time of day as it would be on Sunday. Try a variety of settings until you are happy. Have the kids be your guinea pigs on the bed. (Play Mums and Dads praps) and get them to move around a bit to test for blur in your shots.

Turn on all the lights.

Have the camera set up ready to go and the DH primed up on how to work it.

Give yourself a quick primp so you will look good in the shots when you look back on them.

And the most important of all. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day. It’s all about you.

``````````````````

Rito, you motivated Mums

A little challenge.

I'll give you a couple of weeks to load a pic onto this thread of your "Mother's Day moment" in front of the lens.

It's all for fun and not compulsory, so give it a shot. (I need to learn how to use Photobucket to do this as well lol)

So as of tomorrow, I'm hoping to see a steady stream of pics for a show and tell.

Stay tuned!!!! I'll be posting a 'how to and challenge' soon. If you are keen to learn a bit about your camera and gain confidence with it, I'll be asking you to load up a shot that you took using the 'how to technique', the settings you used and I can critique it for you. Critique is not criticism. Its the offer of how well you did, and/or hints on improving that shot. I'm a South Australian Country Camera Club Judge, so you'll be getting helpful advice!!

Looking forward to seeing what you got up to for Mother's Day. Have a great one!!! I'm slamming Tim Tam's for breakrfast!!!!

tiff

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Shooting Mother's Day - hints and tips
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 pm 
Head Therapist

thanks Tiff - you are SO right - I dont think I have any photos of me on a mothers day EVER!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 pm 
Head Therapist

oh and I have to ask is the secret to looking extra good the pair of bras under the pjs as opposed to just one :wink:

This includes putting a pair of bras on under my PJ’s, dragging a brush thru the hair, brushing my teeth and applying a bit of the foundation.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 pm 
Therapy Master

o u duffa Lee-Anne. you got me there

Attachments:
smilie_happy_251-1.gif
smilie_happy_251-1.gif [ 14.16 KiB | Viewed 2440 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Design Therapist

HEH heh heh!!
soooo funny!!!

I love it! Great advice Tiff! I'm so guilty of almost NEVER being in ANY photos! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Therapy Veteran

Lee-Anne wrote:
oh and I have to ask is the secret to looking extra good the pair of bras under the pjs as opposed to just one :wink:

This includes putting a pair of bras on under my PJ’s, dragging a brush thru the hair, brushing my teeth and applying a bit of the foundation.

LOL, I was thinking too, must hold you in real good :biggrin: :biggrin:

Design for Scrap Jacked
http://aussiescrapjack.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 pm 
Head Therapist

Oh and Tim Tam Slams for mothers day - our special guest this month will have a laugh at that if he sees it for sure

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 pm 
Therapy Master

actually, funnily enough, when I was still horse riding, hunting actually, and still breast feeding the baby at the time, I had to wear 2 bras. Just needed that extra support. But it sure was a tangle to get everything arranged and back in the right place in time to get back on the horse after stirrup cup. (half way rest for the horses stop)
:roll:

the things you do for your sport lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 pm 
Head Therapist

Oh I could think of nothing or uncomfortable, having to wear one is bad enough, but I could understand the need when you are bouncing around on a horse

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:26 am 
Looking for Therapy

My Nanna swears by 2 bras - and she always has worn a bra to bed - she is 90 and still wears a bra to bed :shock: :shock: :shock:
Personally - I would be too uncomfortable to sleep....

Great tips - thanks Tiff!!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 am 
Therapy Expert

Thanks for the photo tips, terrific ideas.

Two bras :shock: not in this lifetime! lol

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 pm 
Therapy Expert

Thank you! I always wash my hair in the morning on big days - cause it's gonna have to look good when we go off to visit family, so photos of me in the mornings on these days when the kids were little were NEVER good. These days however, I beat them all out of bed by several hours, so not such an issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:10 pm 
Therapy Master

Rito, you motivated Mums :biggrin:

little challenge.

I'll give you a couple of weeks to load a pic onto this thread of your "Mother's Day moment" in front of the lens.

It's all for fun and not compulsory, so give it a shot. (I need to learn how to use Photobucket to do this as well lol)

So as of tomorrow, I'm hoping to see a steady stream of pics for a show and tell.

Stay tuned!!!! I'll be posting a 'how to and challenge' soon. If you are keen to learn a bit about your camera and gain confidence with it, I'll be asking you to load up a shot that you took using the 'how to technique', the settings you used and I can critique it for you. Critique is not criticism. Its the offer of how well you did, and/or hints on improving that shot. I'm a South Australian Country Camera Club Judge, so you'll be getting helpful advice!!

Looking forward to seeing what you got up to for Mother's Day. Have a great one!!! I'm slamming Tim Tam's for breakrfast!!!!
:lol:

tiff

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:56 pm 
Design Therapist

OKAY.... I'm soooo gonna try this!! :P :P :P

(Cringing here - not one to be in front of the lens....but will 'try')!

Post subject: Re: Shooting Mother's Day - PHOTO CHALLENGE
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm 
Therapy Expert

Me to Tiff... I need all the help i can get...

Profile WWW 

Board index » Shutter Therapy » Shutter Tutorials